A few years ago I bought a Kong Squiggle on a whim. I had no idea Dublin would fall completely in love with it. Since then we have gone through a Squiggle every 4-5 months. They end up with broken elastic, stuffing pulled out, and practically decapitated.
For the past few months I’ve had trouble finding Squiggles. I thought we were out of luck until I found them on Chewy. And they were on clearance! So I placed my first order (and used a gift card from Barkbox). I also set up an auto reorder of cat food.
Today the order came, only 2 days after I placed it! Dublin was ecstatic to get a new Squiggle and I’m thrilled with Chewy’s service. We are definitely customers for life!
A few days ago I had a chance to go to one of our favorite sort-of-local pet stores. Cats and Dogs Rule, Too is an awesome store in Princeton that carries lots of natural and healthy pet products. I like to get there any time I’m in the Princeton area and they never disappoint. I so wish they had a location closer to our house!
As I was wandering the aisles this time I happened to see a display for The Honest Kitchen. While I feed the Aussies grain-free kibble, I’ve always been intrigued by THK. We use puzzle toys for all of their food, so I don’t think I could ever switch entirely, but I have used a sample or two from L’Oreal’s Because Your Dog is Worth It event in their frozen Kongs. But until recently I did not know that they also make treats. I was excited to see that they carried Beams, an Icelandic catfish treat. Apparently their are two sizes available, but our store only carried the “smalls” size so I grabbed that one. Beams are made from pure, wild-caught Atlantic Catfish skins, waters surrounding Iceland, dried into savory, chewy sticks. They resemble jerky, but are not quite as soft.
When I came home and opened the box, the smell was almost overwhelming. Make no mistake- these are pure fish! But the Aussies smelled them a mile away and came flying down the stairs to investigate.
When I took out the first fish sticks (haha), they started going crazy. It was a nice exercise in self-control to have to sit and pose for the above picture before I let them dig in.
These aren’t longterm chews, as the Aussies got through theirs in about 5 minutes. But they are hard treats and I imagine they are great for their teeth. They might cause fishy breath, but I think they make great dental treats. And they are only 26 calories each! Definitely well worth it. Plus, they are healthy.
Beams aren’t oily and there isn’t so much as a crumb left when the Aussies finish. I’m pretty sure Bailey would learn to do somersaults for these, that’s how much she loves them. When she finished hers she went and sat in front of Dublin, staring at him and willing him to share with her. She did not succeed because Dublin enjoyed his just as much!
These were a huge hit in our house! I think I will look for the larger version next time, as the Aussies are power chewers. But we are all definitely big fans of The Honest Kitchen Beams! Highly, highly recommended by the Aussome Aussies!
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…
HappyDogBox is a subscription box I learned about from another blog and it immediately caught my attention. HappyDogBox advertises that you will get 4-6 American made dogs treats in each box, which I love. But here is the best part: right now, the first box is FREE. Yes, free! All you pay is shipping and handling! I figured we had nothing to lose, so we dove in.
In order to receive your first box you are asked three questions that work to customize the box to your dog . Now here’s the only downside- after your first (free) box, you will be charged $29.99 a month. I wish they had a discount for a multi-month subscription. Or at least a referral service. The price is a bit steep for me right now, so I will probably try one more month before stopping. They are a new company, so maybe they are working on these important details.
The first box came about 4 weeks after I ordered. I never received an email telling me it shipped, so I was a bit surprised when it showed up one day. I wasn’t sure what to expect when I opened it up, but the Aussies sure did. They could not stop jumping up to get at the box. Once I opened it, I realized why.
The Aussies were clearly impressed by the contents of the box and so was I. We’ve tried a lot of subscription boxes and lately I’ve noticed that some of them (Spoiled Rotten is the guiltiest) seem to contain the same treats that we received in the Barkbox a few months earlier. It’s like a repeat knock-off a little too often for my taste. But HappyDogBox was different! There were entirely new products in this month’s box, with no repeats!
- Cloud Star Dynamo Dog Hip and Joint Functional Treat Pouches, Chicken, 14-Ounce: Dublin and Bailey love this brand of treats and hadn’t tried this flavor previously, so it was a big hit!
- Pet Kelp Blueberry Wave Dog Supplement: I haven’t tried this one with the dogs yet, but I can’t wait to see their reaction. I would never buy this at the store but I definitely plan to try it now.
- Barkworthies Premium Dog Treats, Curly Bully Sticks: Their favorite, no contest. The only issue? One bully stick, two dogs. 🙂
- Woofables Gourmet Dog Bakery: Wheat Free – mixed pack: I love trying new, small businesses. And the dogs loved these treats! This is why I love subscription boxes- without the box, I wouldn’t have found these treats.
- Earth Rated Green Dispenser with 15 Dog Waste Poop Bags: We can always use more poop bags, and environmentally-friendly bags make it even better.
- Monster Mouth Dog Toy Size: 4 inch: Dublin is obsessed with this toy. It’s huge, which is a change for him. He has a few Monster Mouth toys but none of them are this big. Needless to say, he adores this toy. I stuff it with a few treats and he works at it for 30 minutes at a time. It’s glorious! That may not seem like a long time, but he solves puzzle toys so quickly so I was shocked when he really had to work at this one. The box was worth it just for this toy!
All in all, I really like HappyDogBox . More importantly, the Aussome Aussies loved it. I think we will stick with this box for at least another month and in the meantime I will hope that they come up with a multi-month discount!